Wednesday, July 8, 2009

P is for Pattern


This morning was cinnamon roll special at the bakery, the place where I buy nothing for myself but watch everyone indulge in flakey, buttery goodness. I did buy one, but it wasn't for me. This one is Josh's birthday present. I promised him a Danish danish for his birthday but Denmark doesn't do danish like America does. Katie, who went to pastry school told me that cinnamon rolls are part of the danish family and that is good enough for me. I placed it in a plastic food bag and headed up to class. You may be wondering why I am mentioning Josh's present in my blog. I know very well that he doesn't have any time with him being a head counselor at camp and training for the Chicago marathon. So if he even reads this I will be surprised. And if he does, this is a heads up for a piece of mail! We have been working on our prints that started with flowers. My shapes have become way more abstract so I see it more like a bird or something. We tried different styles using only black and white and I like it enough not to tear it apart and start over. The next pattern was an exercise on using color overlay to your advantage in making a pattern with many dimensions. Lunch came around and my mission was to find the post office. After looking for 10 minutes on the street I finally found it behind a large construction site, walked in, set up my package with the letter and headed to the woman at the desk. She even gave me a free envelope. 
The second portion of class was to keep working on our patterns and then we discussed our study trip that starts tomorrow morning. We are leaving for Stockholm on a 7:20am train, spending 3 nights in Stockholm, taking an overnight ferry to Helsinki, spending 3 nights there and then flying back home to Copenhagen. Our itinerary is amazing! We are going to so many show rooms, factories and studios that I don't think I can control myself! Katie and I came back to Hvidovre and packed then I came back down to the inner city to meet up with Nathalie Mahler. We went to a delicious Thai place and had a wonderful conversation. There is something about talking to a person who kind of knows who you are but really doesn't know you that well. I love finding out new things about people I have heard or just met and want to strengthen the bond. Anyways, after dinner we walked to the harbor and the Royal Theater. It was the first time I had been in the area on land and it looked beautiful with all the lights on in the dark. 


No comments:

Post a Comment